Pair this dish with Reuling’s Calera Clone Pinot Noir.
- 10 ounces fresh shiitakes, destemmed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces dried soba noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons miso paste
- ½ kabocha squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3-4 baby bok choy, trimmed and quartered
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss shiitakes with soy sauce, garlic and vegetable oil. Spread evenly on sheet pan. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil. Cook soba noodles until tender, but still firm, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion, saute for 3-4 minutes. Add carrot and ginger and saute for another 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and whisk in miso paste. Add squash, cook for about 15 minutes or until squash is completely tender. Add soy sauce and vinegar. Taste and add more soy or vinegar if needed.
- Turn off heat and add bok choy. Allow greens to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Divide noodles and mushrooms evenly among four large soup bowls. Ladle miso broth and bok choy over noodles. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.